Carbon nanotubes (CNT) and graphene (two-dimensional) are two carbon compounds with impressive properties. Due to their specific surface and the combination of extremely high thermal conductivity and mechanical stability, CNTs and graphene are predestined for applications under extremely harsh conditions in gas separation, water purification, catalysis and energy storage technologies (batteries). The properties of these materials can be varied and adjusted to suit specific applications through targeted functionalization.
On the one hand, Fraunhofer IKTS has expertise in the synthesis of CNTs and graphene and, on the other hand, the possibility of depositing CNTs and graphene as homogeneous layers on universal substrates (powder, flat substrates or tube geometries) using chemical vapor deposition (CVD).
Synthesis of CNT and graphene
- Synthesis of CNTs as powder material via CVD-based techniques
- Exfoliation of graphene and unzipping of CNT for the development of graphene
- Customer-specific functionalization
Deposition of CNT and graphene
- Provision of ceramic powders functionalized with CNTs or graphene
- Optimization and further development of CNT or graphene layers for applications in gas separation, waste water treatment, catalysis and energy storage technology (batteries)
- Combination of membrane separation and catalytic conversion in membrane reactors
- Customized separation tests
- Implementation of stability tests