Optical methods can be used for rapid, non-contact recording of material, surface, and volume properties of components and products and are hence easy to integrate into production processes. The “Optical Test Methods and Nanosensors” group uses diverse imaging and spectral measurement and analysis approaches to develop and offer sensor materials as well as measurement and monitoring solutions adapted to meet specific customers’ needs. The working group provides unique solutions covering everything from sensor materials, electronics, and software to integration into customer processes.
Ceramic luminescent pigments can be used, e.g., for thermally and chemically stable labeling of workpieces, for non-contact measurement of temperature or thermal history, or as dosimetry materials for ionizing radiation. Nanoscale metal structures are primarily used in monitoring of liquids (material composition, pollutant detection).
The principle behind data acquisition is simple. Sensor materials are applied onto the surface or into the volume of the component, material, or liquid, where they supply information on material condition and occurring processes. Industrial-grade optoelectronic components are developed for querying the optical properties of these sensor materials. Measurement and monitoring solutions are adapted to customer requirements so they can easily be integrated into existing production processes.
- Customized component labeling for extreme process conditions (e.g., high-temperature processes in metalworking)
- Development of in-line optical testing and monitoring solutions for monitoring of liquids
- Development of optical methods for evaluation of energetic history of components and surfaces (ionizing radiation and temperature exposure)
- Development of robust, industrial-grade optoelectronic components for querying all types of optical spectral sensors
- Integration into production lines and processes
- System for electron irradiation EB-Lab 200 incl. dosimetry system
- Industrial ink jet printing system and conveyor belt for print tests
- Industrial barcode, DataMatrix code, and QR code reader systems
- High-resolution optical microscope and spectrometer
- Development environment for microfluids and biofunctionalization