The Cell and Process Development working group is concerned with the development, construction and characterization of test and demonstrator cells for novel battery concepts as well as processes for component manufacturing. One focus is on all-solid-state technologies in which the liquid electrolyte is replaced – ranging from polymers to completely inorganic solid electrolytes. Based on innovative materials produced and adapted at Fraunhofer IKTS, we develop new cell designs in monopolar and bipolar construction.
Another main topic is the characterization of commercial lithium-ion batteries and cells and their post-mortem analysis. A wealth of experience in investigated and evaluated cell types (button, pouch, bipolar and commercial cells) is contributed here. In addition to battery test benches, special gloveboxes and transfer facilities are available to complement the comprehensive analytical equipment available at IKTS. The focus is on the investigation of defects in the cell structure as well as material- and process-related degradation phenomena in the cell.
In addition, we transfer new electrode materials from the laboratory to pilot production. For this purpose, the team's expertise in mixing, characterization, coating and drying technologies can be fully utilized. In order to be able to map the complete manufacturing chain for lithium-ion batteries and their components, Fraunhofer IKTS operates the Battery Technology Application Center at its Freiberg site, which is equipped with a dry room. New manufacturing processes such as cold and hot plastic flat tape extrusion for conventional or polymer solid-state cells are also the focus of research and development.
- Electrical, electrochemical and material analytical characterization of materials and components for Li- and Na-solid-state batteries and lithium-ion batteries
- Technology assessment of solid-state batteries and consulting on cell concepts
- Post-mortem analyses of conventional cells to identify causes of cell failure and aging mechanisms and to determine simulation parameters
- Modeling of deep discharge processes
- Model-based electrode development and optimization according to customer specifications
- Performance of material and coating tests for electrode tapes
- Development, testing and optimization of integrated manufacturing concepts for electrode and cell production
- Up-scaling of laboratory processes and technology transfer in the dry room
- Feasibility studies and consulting in the field of process upscaling