The production of advanced ceramics is a complex process in which highest requirements concerning the reproducibility of the starting materials, processing conditions and process parameters have to be met. Microstructure evolution and resulting material properties are mainly determined by the secure control of demanding preparation, shaping and heat treatment processes. The machining in the green and sintered state provides effective possibilities to maintain complex geometry, dimension and position tolerances as well as to realize highest surface qualities. Material defects due to the mechanical machining have to be excluded with the choice of appropriate tools and process parameters.
Both the scientific understanding of the individual production processes and its implementation in industry-oriented pilot plant scale in the context of component, process and prototype development are the basis of our extensive expertise in the field of production technology. This know-how enables us to analyse and evaluate existing production lines of ceramic products and to develop new manufacturing concepts. The confidential treatment of customer’s information is thereby naturally. By linking the material competence and the expertise of sintering and characterization existing at Fraunhofer IKTS, we offer our customers a comprehensive service portfolio for the extensive quality assurance in ceramic manufacturing processes which encloses questions of material characterization, process reliability and non-destructive testing as well as energy-saving and resource protective solutions in the technological realization.
Products and services offered
- Evaluation of production processes and complex production lines for advanced ceramics
- Development of manufacturing concepts for new ceramic products and their transfer into pilot plant scale
- Evaluation of energy efficiency and resource optimization in the production processes of advanced ceramics
Examples and references
- Evaluation of ceramic production processes
- Development of new filter concepts and transfer into pilot plant scale
- Energy efficiency studies of production processes