Electrical energy storage systems play an important role when sustainably shaping the future of the world’s energy supply. Most attention in this field is being given to sodium-based batteries, ceramic catalysts for metal-air batteries and ceramic alkali-ion conductors.
The working group uses its know-how in materials science and technical manufacturing solutions to develop materials, manufacturing methods and innovative battery designs – always with an eye on applicability. For this purpose, Fraunhofer IKTS has highly modern plants and analytical equipment at its disposal, which are used for examining new cost-efficient processes and acquiring a deeper understanding of the operation and aging of battery storage solutions.
- Synthesis of solid-state ion conductors (Na-ß“-aluminate, Na+- and Li+-ion conducting glass ceramics)
- Optimization of materials for increasing power density and conductivity
- Technology and process development for producing sodium-based and metal-air batteries
- Development, production and operation of high-temperature batteries
- Module and system design for high-temperature batteries
- Microscopic, electrochemical and mechanical characterization of materials
- Cell tests
- Characterization of performance and aging under climate-controlled conditions
- Characterization of the charging and discharging as well as degradation behavior
- Market analyses and competent consulting for individual questions