Submicrometer sintered corundum for ballistic protection
Improved protective efficiency by high hardness of submicrometer ceramics
Ceramic processing that avoids defects gives high-strength and very hard α-Al2O3 protective tiles of low weight.
Very high hardness of sintered dense Al2O3 ceramic with sub-µm microstructure:
- Improved protective performance at low weight due to the correlation of high hardness and increasing mass efficiency
- To be manufactured by simple, pressureless sintering at low temperatures
Products and services offered
- Development of technologies to manufacture submicrometer Al2O3 protective materials, upscaling investigations
- Development of optimized materials for specific applications
- Application related investigations of the ballistic protective performance in cooperation with the Fraunhofer Institute for High-Speed Dynamics (Ernst-Mach-Institut) Freiburg i.Br.